Monday 2 February 2009

Holy Sh*t...It's Still Winter!

Okay, so Sunday was, for the most part, a complete bust. I tried to get a new UK mobile phone, but the store near King's Cross was closed. I also wanted to see if I could get my dry-cleaning done. That place was closed, too. As a last-ditch effort, I decided to look in King's Cross Station for a possibly-open cell phone store...when I discovered this:


If you've ever read a Harry Potter book, you'll be laughing right now. I tried to catch the next train to Hogwarts, but the wall was, indeed, solid brick. So I went home.

The funny thing is that it was unusually cold that day. I almost had to put on my ski jacket. The rest of the day went by without incident, but I was awoken sometime around 11pm by shouting outside my window. At first, I thought someone was getting raped or something, but when I openned my window, I looked upon a sight that Mary Jane Walsh assured us would be a very rare thing to see in London.


Snow. Lots of snow. So much snow, that the some of the residents of Nido ran out into the courtyard and had an impromptu snowball fight. I am so happy with the way this picture turned out, with the flash relecting off the falling snow. As Geoff Bullen would put it: "I felt like a dog with two dicks."

The next day, of course, was all about seeing the sights in London while they were covered in snow.


Saint Pancras Railway Station...covered in snow. Caught the tube there and went to pick up my phone at...


Oxford Circus...covered in snow. I picked up my phone and headed toward class at the ICA. I happened to have passed by...


The world famous Hadley Toy Store...covered in snow. I bought a fashionable hat to keep the snow out of my face as I walked toward...


Piccadilly Circus...covered in snow. I was, then, just a hop, skip, and a jump away from...


Lower Regent Street...covered in snow. I walked down the steps by the Duke of York statue and looked upon...


St. James's Park...covered in snow. If you have been following my blog or if you know anything about London geography, you would know that this park runs right along...


The Mall...covered in snow. If I wanted to, I could have turned right and walked down to Buckingham Palace (which, I'm sure, was covered in snow); however, I had business to attend to at...


The ICA...covered in snow. It was there that MJW told us, essentially, that London has absolutely no way of dealing with snow. Tube lines completely shut down, stores shut down, trains were massively delayed, the Queen caught pneumonia, the military went to DEFCON 2, and...our teachers, who live on the outskirts of Britain, were unable to make it into the city for today and tomorrow. We had a snow-day. An actual fucking college snow-day. Not only that, but MJW pretty much declared Tuesday a snow-day, too. We're all psyched to shit, so we decide to paint the town red...which was quite easy; everything was white and the paint showed up quite obviously.


First, some of us went to get tickets for Waiting for Godot that was going to play at the Haymarket Theatre Royal (which was covered in snow) in April and May. Do not want to divulge anything about this upcoming production until the day I see it, which will be on May 15, my last day in London. Until then, just sit tight, understand the epicness of what is to occur, and don't go looking up on the internet what's so special about this production.


After that, we were going to meet up with some friends down by the Horse Guard Building, which was also covered in snow. Our friends weren't there...they went to Westminster Abbey.


So we went there and discovered that the abbey was covered in snow. We were shocked. On the way there, a cab ran over a huge slushy puddle and nearly soaked Joel and I from the splash. I was ready to kick somebody in the dick for that. It was one of the foulest experiences I've ever suffered through...but I survived.


We walked on over to the Houses of Parliament. The snow attacked there also, causing the prime minister to elevated the nation to DEFCON 1. We wanted to go into Westminster Abbey, but free-admission thing wouldn't happen for another 2 hours (if you look close enough at the picture, you could tell when we needed to be in the abbey), so we needed to kill time.


This is archival photographs of the 1st Battle of Parliament Square. We made snowballs and knocked the shit out of each other. Shortly after we signed the cease-fire agreement, Tommy hit me in the right eye at point-blank range. It is hard to describe how much that sucked, but I took two heaping handfuls of snow and slapped him on both sides of his face when he wasn't looking. We called it even.


As we left Parliament Square, we noticed that someone had built a snowman on the statue of Winston Churchill. That man is our hero.


Went to a pub, got some lunch and a quick drink, then, we discussed our plans for the evening.


Aparently, this thing called "Evensong" is held at Westminster Abbey nearly every night at 5pm and admission is free. Sounds like a good idea, right?


It was a church service. We knew the boys choir would be singing (creepy as shit, by the way...we felt like Jesus was haunting us), but we were unaware that this would be a full-out Anglican church service. I actually went to church.

Son of a bitch...

But we still got to see the inside of the abbey, which was more spectacular than I remember. We can't take pictures in the abbey, so you can't see what it looks like...but I did.

Nah nah nah nah nah nah.

We just wanted to go home after that. We were cold and wet and we smelled like communion wine (this batch was probably the best Jesus has ever tasted, as a side not), but some of us needed to go grocery shopping. The Tesco was a madhouse. We spent maybe 30min on line to pay for our food because the only things open were the five self-scan machines. If you've never been to London, let me just say that they sell wierd shit in food stores.


That's right...read the sign: yellow plums. I call bullshit on that. Plums are purple. Those are small, unripened yellow apples. I don't like being lied to, Britain.

Other than that, I've had my...

DISCOVERY OF THE WEEK!

"How to Operate My Complicated-As-All-Hell Stove"

I've included a picture tutorial below.


And you can start cooking eggs after just five minutes of stove preparation!

You need to "unlock" the stove before you use it? Why? Is someone going to break into my apartment and cook an unwanted omelet with my stove-heat? Unless they discover that all you need to do is hit the little key button, they're out of luck. I don't even know how well this damn thing cooks. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Until then...wait and wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment